Saturday, October 14, 2006

Opening the Blinds

It's time to start putting my thoughts somewhere. Just writing these words makes me want to close the door to my room.

College apartments don't lend themselves to privacy. Right now I can look straight into the apartment of the guys in the building next door. Sometimes we even write notes back and forth on white boards, communicating in a laughably tedious way considering the short distance between our rooms, and the fact that we all have phones. Then there's that awkward moment when we're both bored with the interaction, but how to end it? Closing the blinds seems abrupt, almost rude. But then there we are, still in full view of each other, a building away with no escape.

I decided tonight that I need an escape. Part of it is that sometimes my professors are just begging to be written about. Part of it is that I'm an impassioned, idealistic, completely naive college student. Part of it is that the campus police shot a deer in front of the science building as I was walking back from class and my first thought was, "I really should tell the internet about this. Oh wait, I don't have a blog." So here I am, resisting the strongest urge to turn back, to shut the blinds and keep my thoughts to myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home